Sunday, March 11, 2018

Music – The Storybook of Our Lives


Like most everyone, I have my music library on every digital device I own – iPhone, iPad, Laptop and if allowed, it would be on my work PC as well.  A few nights ago, my mom and I were having a conversation and our conversation led to music.  She said that one of the things she dislikes most about the Senior Citizens dining area she attends on
a weekly basis, is that the music is always blaring loudly.  She said that she’d prefer to listen to people talk or watch news on TV or listen to any kind of talk radio.  “Why are people so obsessed with music,” she asked? 

When I was 11 years old, my favorite aunt was in the middle of a break up.  She enlisted me to keep one song playing on the record player non-stop until she told me to stop.  It was late in the evening, probably past my bedtime, but it was a Saturday night, so I could stay up late.  I was at her house to spend the night with my cousin.  She paid me 25¢ for the evening to fulfill her request.  My job was to put the record player needle back on the record after the song ended.  LOL Yes, that was a pretty long time ago.  For those of you unfamiliar, music was played on a turntable record player.  The record that I played continuously was called a 45.  A 45 is a vinyl record disc that plays at a speed of 45 rotations per minute (RPM).  The turntable record player is now considered a vintage relic.  It is now called a Vintage Turntable Record Player and depending on the style, the price can range anywhere from $100 or more.

I asked my mom why does she dislike music so much?  She shared with me that music causes her to remember things that she doesn’t want to remember.  She continued by saying that she likes old music but it’s just not fun anymore to listen to music.  She finished by saying “you now know something about me that you never knew.”  She laughed. 

Music has always been the cornerstone of all my memories.  Toni Braxton helped nurse my broken heart, several times.  Anything Prince was for dancing or melancholy moments and anything that life brings forth.  Prince was everything!  People celebrate with music.  You select a wedding song.  A song for a funeral.  Let’s celebrate the birth of your child.  You name the occasion, there’s a song for that. 

The history of music is wide and diverse.  I’m partial to Pop, Jazz, and R&B.  My workout playlist includes Starship by Nicki Minaj as well as Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke and my workout rest period is sometimes Sing to Me by Walter Martin sprinkled with Kelly Clarkson’s Piece by Piece (by the way, click this link, it’s a heart wrenching performance by Kelly Clarkson on American Idol.)

Instead of vinyl records, we moved to CDs and now it’s all digital.  Ear plugs occupy the ears of most college age students and others that are not college age or students.  The music in your car is most likely coming from your digital device which was probably downloaded or from a music subscription service.  Echo and Alexa pushed out by Amazon will play any music genre at your command.  You can even have conversations with these digital ladies.  Google Home is your Smart Speaker & Home Assistant owned by Google, of course. 

Radio music stations plays music around the clock.  Search and you will find a music genre to your liking.  For example, country music (my favorite as a teen), Elvis Presley radio station, Rock, Heavy Metal and on and on.
   
Who wakes up to an alarm clock anymore?  No, you set the alarm on your phone and, yes, you wake up to music, not that blaring noise that cause you to throw that clock radio across the room.  Musicals are still the most popular shows to see on Broadway.  Mamma Mia, Cats, The Lion King, Les Misérables, just to name a few of the most popular theater musicals.  Movie musicals win awards.  One top awarded movie musical of 2017 was La La Land starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.
Music is universal, it’s not an obsession, it’s the story of our lives.  It’s a need, a want, a must.  One of my Playlist repeats Blue Blood Blues by Chris Blue, Pray by Sam Smith, and I don’t know which one I love more by Childish Gambino, Redbone or Terrified

Even though my mother doesn’t listen to music any more, it is still the story of her life.  A life forgotten, perhaps.  But I feel confident that she hums a tune to one of her favorite songs every now and then.



©2018 Radiance Smith (aka Radiance Lite)

2 comments:

  1. You took Me back with the needle, I remember as it wore down the coins became a very important part to hear the music until a new needle was purchased. The good old days. Music will always be the cornerstone of our lives. And in closing I bet not only does She hum along, She may even Dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you could hardly wait to get that needle replaced because if not, it would scratch the record. HAHAHA good memories. I bet she does dance a little sometimes. I hope so. Thanks for your comment, Willie.

      Delete

Did You Write the NYT Op-Ed Trashing the President? --- It Wasn’t Me!!

As I watched The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC on Thursday evening, I watched as he talked about the New York Times ...